Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Summertime Rolls

Long time coming, but it appears, albeit slowly but surely, that summer is coming. There are many aspects of summer that I enjoy: camping, barbequing, playing golf and tennis, mountain biking, and a whole host of others.

One of the other aspects of Summer for me is music. Granted, I listen to music all year round but for some reason, music just sounds better in the summer. That said, here's my current top 5 list (of course in no particular order).

1. Under the Blacklight - Rilo Kiley
2. Gods of the Earth - The Sword
3. In the Future - Black Mountain
4. Sad Clown Series - Atmosphere
5. Laika Come Home - Gorillaz


Mind you, as summer rolls, this list is subject to change (and very likely will).

Feel free to check out Amazon.com for a sample listening of any of the aforementioned.

*Edit:
And ya see...just like that BAM I get another song in my head (this one "The Needle Has Landed" by Neko Case).

6 comments:

Beth said...

I guess I am more mainstream when it comes to music. My one college roommate was into alternative, she even had a radio show on the campus radio station, but she and I did not get along politically and so I have a probably unfair correlation between alternative music lovers and left wing commies.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

When it comes to music, I don't care what their political persuasions are, if their music is good and creative, I'll listen to it.

Case in point is a song by the band Cloud Cult called "State of the Union".

It's a bunch of different sound bites by President Bush pieced together so that it seems it is an actual State of the Union speech he gave (I'll let you take a guess at what sort of statements were taken out of context and pieced together).

It's creative, I'll give them that.

But on the music thing, I guess most of the bands on the list could be interpreted as "alternative" (with the exception of #4 and #5, they're more "indy" than anything).

Check out Rilo Kiley and/or Neko Case. Both women singers (the majority of the tracks anyway). You might find you like it.

I recommend "The Needle Has Landed" by Neko Case and "Silver Lining", "Under the Blacklight", or "Close Call" by Rilo Kiley.

Beth said...

I was able to hear some of each from their MySpace pages, they seem tolerable, but at 99 cents a download I don't see myself investing too much in them.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Tolerable?? Tolerable???

My dear Beth..whatever would you suggest?

Inquiring minds want to know (I wanna know).

Beth said...

Okay, maybe tolerable was not quite right, they were fine, very nice, seems like something you could listen to during a party or while relaxing at night, is that better?

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Okay, I'll accept that. ;-)