Monday, May 12, 2008

Scissor Savings

If you hadn't guessed by now, I am of course a fiscal conservative. I don't believe in spending money I don't have. I like money. More importantly, I like money that I can spend on non-essential things.

I cut coupons. I don't know that alot of people do. And, in this day and age with food prices on the rise, you'd be foolish not to. What's more, not only do my beloved and I cut coupons, we typically only use them when the item is also on sale. You know, you have a buy one get one free special and then not only that, you can apply say a $1 off on the item you first have to purchase.

Up here in Minnesota, we have essentially two main grocery stores: Cub or Rainbow. They both have flyers in the Sunday paper and conveniently, they're both within relatively close proximity to one another so we have no qualms about making the most of the sale items at both.

We also utilize the rebate program at Walgreens (it's a pharmacy type store like Snyders or CVS). I honestly can't tell you how many times, via the rebate and coupons, we've actually ended up saving more money than we spent (I mean hello have you ever bought razor blades?? They frequently have a rebate on the whole kit and caboodle.)

We're always trying to outdue our all time record savings at the grocery store though (that being a savings of about $50 on a total bill not more than $100).

Case in point: Coupons essentially amount to free money. And, I'm not inclined to think that any sensible person would just casually stroll by ignoring a $5 bill laying on the ground would they??

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the Bushie economics, maybe when you get your check in the mail, you won't have to cut coupons.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Nice generality Matt. While indeed Bush has too adopted a much flawed energy policy which has exacerbated our present economic struggles, you should be reminded that it was a Democratic controlled House and Senate which put it forth.

What's more, given that he is not up for another term, he's been able to be considerably more up front and outspoken about his policy positions.

He gave one such outspoken speech a couple of weeks ago on energy policy and its culpability with respect to our economic problems (part of which is posted on this very blog).

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Moreover, the stimulus checks aren't going to have any long term effect on the economy. Merely transferring money from one individual to another is not what we call sound economic policy.

Of course this explains why Nancy Pelosi has advocated for yet another stimulus package (this one of course much more lavish than was the first).

Beth said...

There is no shame in cutting coupons, its usually those people who lived frugally that end up millionaires because they didn't waste money.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

This is true isn't it? I gather you're a coupon cutter yourself Beth??

Beth said...

I used to be better about it I must admit. I tend to realize at month-end that coupons are expiring, and so then I look through them and sometimes I see I could have used but didn't.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Both of the grocery stores I mentioned except them up to 3 months expired.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Both of the grocery stores I mentioned except them up to 3 months expired.

Beth said...

That's a nice perk.

Our main grocery store has double coupons up to $.99. Should be an incentive to be better about it huh?

Beth said...

I should add that perhaps I don't use as many coupons because I do tend to buy the store brands that are usually cheaper than a name brand with a coupon.

Name: Soapboxgod said...

Me too. Although I've noticed that the prices on the store brands on some items has gone up considerably.

Target carries their "Archer Farms" brand and they have a great corn and black bean salsa that we would frequently purchase.

The price on that was at once like $1.89. It is now around $3.00.

Beth said...

Where's the Congressional hearings on the price of salsa for pete's sake!!!!!

Name: Soapboxgod said...

LOL!!!

I figure, it's got corn in it so it stands to chance right???